Tuesday 21 February 2017

Pinacosaurus: The Sequel

Since I spread the word about my post on Pinacosaurus and its freakish tongue, a few people have been working on some art inspired by my post and other people's work. They have agreed for me to share their amazing artwork here:




This is by Connor Ross, or RajaHarimau98 as he is known by his username on DeviantArt. Here's his brilliant gallery on DevianArt: here.
He gave his intepretation of Pinacosaurus nasal balloons too, an interesting speculative addition which is based off the unusual cavities in ankylosaurid noses. I really like the way the tongue has been done on this too, it looks more muscular than my version, which is actually how I imagined it.
 
 
This is by megabass22, here's his DeviantArt profile: here.
This intepretation includes speculative integument on the belly and of course the tell-tale tongue! I'll note here that I am undecided on whether or not ankylosaurids and stegosaurids had any kind of feathery integument, but I would probably say no. I wouldn't rule it out, though. Although I think that speculation like this is still a good thing in paleoart, no matter what your personal opinion is on the matter, I would actively encourage the speculative and experimental use of feathery integument and other such things in paleoart.

Thanks to megabass22 and RajaHarimau98 for your art, and anybody reading, I would highly recommend that you take a look at their art in the links above.

Well, that's all for now - I'll be doing more on ankylosaurids and other Mesozoic animals and ecosystems in the very near future . . .

2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.